Am I right? Each year, since I’ve lived in New York, we pack our bags for the journey back home for the holidays, however this year, we’ve got something sneaky up our sleeve. Our journey is two fold! Aside from Thanksgiving, and a long weekend with the fam, we’re traveling to a super sneaky, top secret destination for one, giant adventure. We can’t tell you when, we can’t tell you where, but we are beyond excited, and can’t wait to share.
Travel fills me with anxious, but positive energy. I love the anticipation of the journey, planning our days, packing for the adventure, and I’m lucky if I get an hour of shut eye before we go. What about you? Are you just as anxious? How do you plan for your own getaways?
Over the weekend, I took a stroll down the streets of NYC, shopping, running errands, and planning for our upcoming trip. For the chilly temps in the city, I styled my look around my brand new, Guess, wool coat (similar here), paired with leather leggings (similar here). I love the look of the simple black coat, with the contrast gold trim, and faux fur accents. I work with the team that creates our Guess outerwear, and the collection each season is fab.
To compliment the coat, with the same color combo, I wore my new Foster Grant Gia sunnies. I’ve been sporting my Foster Grants since the summer, and I adore this black and gold combination for fall. You can check out the rest of their collection here. To finish my look, I carried a black and metallic shoulder bag (similar here), and strolled the streets in my go-to, ankle boots (similar here).
Here are a few helpful packing tips for your own holiday packing list. Lots of love, and warm wishes for wonderful Thanksgiving. Travel safe, beauties, and make sure to stay tuned for our jet set diaries!
- Layering Pieces: Make sure to check out the temps of your destination in advance, so you can pack accordingly. I always bring layering pieces, such as a tank, blouse, and my go-to leather moto jacket. This way, regardless of temps, I can always add the leather jacket over my look, if it’s too cold. The moto jacket also fits under my wool coat, to give an extra layer of warmth.
- Basics on Bottom: Although, it seems simple to travel in jeans, I travel in black pants (essentially a dressier version of leggings). They are just as comfy, and I can create a casual look by adding a sweater, dressier look by adding a blouse, or edgy look by layering my leather moto jacket. So many options, while minimizing the pieces you pack.
- Stick to a Color Palette: I always choose my styles, with a complimentary neutral color of black or brown…usually black. I stick with one color, so that my pieces coordinate with a black bag, and black shoes. You could also choose a neutral bag, and brown shoes. Sticking with one color palette limits your accessories, and lightens the load of that suitcase.
- Fitted Dresses First: Alright…this is a funny one, but true. While traveling, especially around the holidays, I always wear my fitted clothing first. Unfortunately, and inevitably, you end up indulging in a bit (or more than a bit) in fun food, during the holidays right? As much as I try, and even while fitting in workouts, I just never feel as quite the same, when I’m away from my daily diet and gym routine. Therefore, I sport the fitted outfits first, and leave the comfies for last. You’ll thank me for this one.
- Activewear Always: I always make sure I have my gym clothes with me at all times. As much as my gym shoes bulk up my suitcase, I know that I won’t skip my workouts, as long as I have a constant reminder of my leggings and tanks when I open my suitcase. Especially around the holidays, it’s important to stay motivated and keep up with a daily sweat sesh. Even if my workouts aren’t the same as usual, I try to move as much as as can. Combat the your inner couch potato, and do it with me!
- Pack Your Sunnies: Last but not least, I always carry a variety of sunnies. I like to have options, so of course these brand new, shiny, black Foster Grants will make the trip. What are your favorite sunnies to travel in?
- Guess: Wool Coat (similar here)
- Foster Grant: Gia Sunglasses
- Leather Leggings: similar here
- Shoulder Bag: similar here
- Ankle Boots: similar here
*This post is in partnership with Foster Grant