What do you look for when you go shopping? Is it color, or fit? Maybe you are drawn to your favorite brand. As a designer, and stylist I’m often asked this question. People always ask if I have a specific brand that I love. My answer is always the same. I fall in love with a style, not because of the label, but because of the design details.
Design details, are the intricate trims, buttons, hardware, fabric, or gathers on a piece of clothing that make it unique. These special little details add interest to the style, and often give a fashion forward look. Today, I chose several of my favorite pieces, to show you examples of the details I’ve mentioned.
- Brahmin’s All Day Tote – Black Bohemia: This tote has a lovely, vintage looking, floral print, which makes the bag unique. When paired with a solid colored outfit, the bag becomes a statement piece, and a perfect accessory to complete your look. Keep in mind, that you shouldn’t wear another print, because it will fight with the printed Brahmin Bag. You want the bag to stand out.
- Guess Quilted Leather Jacket: This is my absolute favorite jacket, and I basically live in it during the Fall, and add it as a layering piece, to my Winter outfits. I love the quilting on this jacket, gold studs, gathers at the shoulders, and the the shiny zippers. The overall fit of the garment is so flattering. It is key to find a leather jacket that fits your body well. You can consider it an investment piece, that you just can’t live without.
- Red Quilted Skirt (similar): This mini skirt is a fun, reasonable style I found. I love the quilting, as well as the gold zippers at the pockets. It can be worn with a printed blouse (a leopard print would look great), or a solid top, such as black or grey. Try layering a fabulous jacket on top, or a beautiful printed scarf to add some interest to the skirt. The skirt can be worn with our without tights.
- Michael Kors “Giuliana” Bootie: I fell in love with these boots towards the end of summer. They were definitely an impulse buy, but well worth it. The boots caught my eye because of the shiny gold buckle, and zipper. Can you tell I’m a sucker for gold details? These shoes have been perfect choice to transition into fall.
- “Lauren” Ring: From the moment I saw this ring, I knew I had to have it! I bought this beauty from the fabulous new online boutique, Bleeker & Spring. I loved the two small dainty pearls that rest on top of a beautiful gold band. The style is feminine, elegant, and perfect for my little finger. I basically haven’t taken it off since I bought it, and get compliments from everyone. If you’re in the market for some fancy new accessories, (and who isn’t?), I’d scroll right on over to Bleecker and Spring. Let me know your faves!
- Brahmin’s Leather Cuff – Carmine Red Melbourne: These beautiful cuffs come in a variety of colors. I was lucky enough to find mine during New York Fashion Week. The color decision was a major challenge. I chose the red, textured leather because I loved the rich, pop of color for the Winter. These are a great idea for gift giving as well.
I hope we’ve inspired you with some fun style ideas. Let us know what you find, and mix up your own look using fabulous design details. You’ve got this, Beauties!